Katherine Gorge set deep within the stone country of Nitmiluk National Park is a dramatic setting. The towering rock wall ramparts above the Katherine River, ancient Aboriginal Dreamtime stories, prolific birdlife and a boat journey into the 'never never' land highlight the grandeur of this spectacular gorge.
Edith Falls cascading down the sheer rock wall face into a paperbark encompassed plunge pool, Pine Creek historic town and the Adelaide River War Cemetery offer amazing contrasts in a powerful outback land.
* Head south out of Darwin on the Stuart Highway
* Endless outback scrub and WWII air strips
* Take a break at Adelaide River - perhaps a light or cooked country breakfast (own expense)
* Visit Adelaide River War Cemetery - a memorial of the Darwin air raids in the 1940's
* Wallabies can usually be seen in this area
* Look for kytes soaring overhead, cockatoos, brolgas and jabirus
* Look for massive roadtrains
* Historic Pine Creek Railway Station and town
* Visit superb Edith Falls - there's time for a swim in the waterhole below the falls (conditions permitting)
* Tour the outback township of Katherine - the third largest in the Territory
* Enjoy a delicious buffet lunch at the Katherine Gorge Visitors Centre in Nitmiluk National Park
* Take a guided 2 hour scenic cruise through Katherine Gorge
* Look for freshwater crocodiles on the banks
* After the first gorge there is a short walk along the side to the second gorge
* Marvel at the stark, sheer, richly coloured escarpments of the Katherine Gorge canyon
* Look for birdlife and plants along the gorge escarpment
* Stop at Adelaide River for dinner (own expense) - perhaps try the local delicacy ' Barra and chips'.
A reasonable level of mobility is required. Our itinerary is subject to seasonal conditions.
Per person (Prices valid 1/4/2012 to 31/3/2013)
Operates: Operates daily except Thurs,Sun(May to Oct) & Tue,Thur,Sat(Nov to Apr) Does not operate 17,22,27 Dec12-14,19 Jan13-2,9, Feb13
Departs: 6:20 AM
Returns: 8:30 PM
Children aged 4-14 are eligible to receive a 50% discount off Adult fares unless otherwise stated (15 and over is an adult. Under 4 is free).
Departs: 6:20 am Returns: 8:30 pm
Katherine Gorge, Northern Territory